What makes these the best you ask? Fondue is my answer! I use the recipe for Hard Apple Cider Cheese Fondue for these amazing stuffed potatoes. What makes them so incredible is the extra-aged award winning Washington State University Cougar Gold Cheese that the cheese sauce is made from.
I would swim with piranhas for Cougar Gold Cheese. Big, fat, toothless, vegetarian piranhas. Ok, so I’m a chicken, but seriously, this cheese is super fantastic. But if you can’t get a round of it, any good aged white cheddar will work well.
The Best Broccoli Cheddar Baked Potatoes
4 Good sized Russet potatoes
Broccoli florettes, enough to cover 4 potatoes
Freshly Cracked Pepper
1 recipe Hard Apple Cider Cheese Fondue, below
1. Microwave Method: Scrub the potatoes, pierce with a fork, and place on a paper towel in the microwave. Cook on high, flipping over every 5 minutes until easily pierced with a knife. Set aside.
Oven Method: Preheat oven to 400 degrees, scrub potatoes, pierce with fork, rub with oil and place on the center rack of the oven. Place a foil lined baking sheet below to catch drips and bake for 45 minutes to an hour or until easily pierced with a fork.
2. Meanwhile, make the fondue and steam the broccoli.
3. Place the potatoes on individual plates. Cut with a sharp knife down the centers and squeeze potato together so the insides pop out a bit. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place the broccoli on top of the potatoes and spoon the cheese fondue on top.
1 pound Cougar Gold (extra aged if you can get it), or other sharp white cheddar
2 Tablespoons flour
1 cup hard apple cider (Drink the rest while preparing fondue)
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1. Crumble or shred the cheese. In a bowl, toss together the cheese and flour.
2. In medium sized sauce pan bring the hard apple cider to a boil.
3. Reduce heat to low and add the cheese mixture a handful at a time, stirring until melted before adding more.
4. Add the vinegar and stir together. Spoon over baked potatoes.
Recipe & Picture by Laura Flowers.