Monday, April 20, 2009
As I begin writing out my pizza recipes I couldn’t resist tackling one of my favorites. This Chile Verde style pizza is one of those pies we start eating and all we’re able to say is, “Mmmmm”, until every last bite is polished off. I assume leftovers would be good too, but I’ve yet to have any to try.
There will be some leftover Chile Verde. I suggest making another pizza, pouring it over nachos, or just eat it straight out of a bowl.
Coarse cornmeal for pizza pan
1 (12 inch) pizza crust brushed with olive oil (See note below)
2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
1 can Juanita’s Chile Verde Pork and Green Chile sauce, reserve 1/4th cup sauce.
1/4th cup sour cream
1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella
1 cup shredded white or yellow cheddar
1 (2.25 ounce) can sliced black olives
About ½ cup sliced onions
1/3 cup jarred deli-sliced jalapeno peppers
1. Heat up the grill to hot and close the lid.
2. Cover a plate with two paper towels and place the chopped tomatoes on top. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and set aside for 15 minutes. Press the liquid out with another paper towel and set aside.
3. Cook the Chili Verde in a saucepan until warmed through. Reserve 1/4th cup of the sauce before cooking.
4. Meanwhile brush a 12 inch pizza pan lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with cornmeal. Stretch and roll the dough and place on the pan. Brush lightly with olive oil.
5. Mix together 1/4th cup sour cream and 1/4th cup Chile Verde sauce. Spoon the sauce around the dough, top with mozzarella and cheddar. With a slotted spoon, place as much pork from the Chile Verde onto the pizza as desired. Next, drizzle on about 1/3rd cup or more of the sauce to taste. Top with the onions, sliced olives, and jalapeno slices.
6. Set the pizza on the grill and close the lid. Turn grill to medium high and cook for 5 to 8 minutes or until cooked through. Turn to medium for a thicker crust pizza and cook longer. Remove onto a cookie sheet with tongs.
7. Wait about 5 minutes and cut into wedges.
Note: See http://www.thecookingphotographer.com/2009/04/lets-talk-dough-pizza-dough.html for information on pizza dough and grilling techniques.
Recipe by Laura Flowers