Thursday, April 9, 2009
The first barbecue chicken pizza was introduced by the California Pizza Kitchen in 1985. It exploded in popularity in the 1990s with copycats, had a good long run at celebrity, and then quietly slipped off most pizza menus. This isn’t CPK’s recipe, but instead my bacon bastardization of this delicious pizza.
Coarse cornmeal for pizza pan
1 (12 inch) pizza crust brushed with olive oil (See note below)
1/3 cup Stubbs BBQ sauce
1 cup shredded mozzarella
1 ½ cups shredded provolone
1 small cooked chicken breast, shredded (I buy one from my deli to save time)
4 slices thick cut bacon
¼ cup chopped fresh scallions
1/4th cup parmesan cheese (not the dry kind)
Dried red pepper flakes to taste
Sprinkle of garlic powder, onion powder, salt & pepper
More barbecue sauce for drizzling
1. Heat up the grill to hot and close the lid.
2. Cover a plate with two paper towels, layer on the bacon, and then cover with another paper towel. Microwave for three minutes. Carefully flip the bacon over and microwave for another three minutes or until crispy. Pat off grease and cut into bite sized pieces.
3. Meanwhile brush a 12 inch pizza pan lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with cornmeal. Stretch and roll the dough and place on the pan. Brush lightly with olive oil.
4. Spoon 1/3 cup barbecue sauce around the dough, top with mozzarella and provolone. Top with shredded chicken, bacon, scallions, and parmesan. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper.
5. Set on the grill and close the lid. Turn grill to medium high and cook for 5 to 8 minutes or until done. Turn to medium for a thicker crust pizza and cook longer. Remove onto a cookie sheet with tongs.
6. Drizzle with more barbecue sauce and cut into wedges.
Note: See http://www.thecookingphotographer.com/2009/04/lets-talk-dough-pizza-dough.html for information on pizza dough and grilling techniques.
Recipe by Laura Flowers