Can you imagine a decent size portion of pot pie with 300 calories and 8 grams of fat that still tastes good?
They do exist, but you have to make them yourself. But with a shortcut topping, these pot pies can still be weeknight food.
Slimmed Down Single Serve Chicken Pot Pies
Placing the filling in 1-cup ramekins is automatic portion control. Unless you go back for a second one, but I can’t really help you there.
1 1/2 pounds chicken
14.5 ounce can low sodium chicken broth
1 cup nonfat milk
3 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon butter
12 ounce bag frozen mixed vegetables (Steamables are quick and easy.)
1 teaspoon dried dill
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 (4 ounce) container reduced fat crescent roll dough
1 egg white, beaten
1. In a large pot, simmer the chicken breasts and broth together over medium-high heat for 8 to 10 minutes. Turn off heat and move chicken to a cutting board to cook when it’s cooked through. Be careful not to overcook the chicken.
2. Cook the vegetables according to package directions. Set aside.
3. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease six 1-cup ramekins with cooking spray. Place ramekins on a baking sheet.
4. Turn the heat back on under the pot and add the butter. Mix flour and a little of the milk together and whisk until smooth. Add the flour mixture and the remaining milk to the pot. Bring to a simmer and stir until thickened. Add the vegetables, dill, parsley, onion powder, salt and pepper and warm through.
5. Unroll the crescent rolls. Press 8 of the triangles together so that the form rectangles. Cut the rectangles in half with scissors to make two squares each.
6. Divide the chicken mixture evenly among the ramekins. Place a crescent roll square on top of each one and brush lightly with egg white. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes, or until top is golden and sauce is bubbly.
Makes 6 Servings.
Calories 300.6 Total Fat 8.0 g Saturated Fat 3.6 g Polyunsaturated Fat 0.9 g Monounsaturated Fat 2.4 g Cholesterol 71.6 mg Sodium 898.9 mg Potassium 375.1 mg Total Carbohydrate 25.7 g Dietary Fiber 1.6 g Sugars 5.0 g Protein 32.5 g
By Laura Flowers.