Saturday, July 30, 2011
If you can buy skinless boneless chicken thighs your job will be quick and painless. If not, chicken thighs aren’t too hard to prep.
Here’s a 5 minute video on how to skin and bone chicken thighs just in case. You'll save a little cash too by doing the work yourself.
You’ll need a food processor for the apricot spread.
Grilled Chicken Thigh Sliders with Apricot Chutney Spread
If your store apricots aren’t fragrant and ripe (or you just want a shortcut) use two 8.25-ounce cans of apricot halves in light syrup. Drain and rinse off the syrup before grilling.
1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs
3 apricots, halved and pitted
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 clove garlic, pressed through a press
8 (1.3-ounce) mini sandwich buns
1. Spray the grill with cooking spray and heat to medium high heat.
2. Combine first 4-ingredients in a small bowl. Spray chicken with cooking spray and rub with the paprika mixture. Set aside.
3. Grill chicken and apricots about 5 minute per side until the chicken is cooked through. The apricots may finish a little sooner.
4. Cool chicken slightly and shred with forks. Place the apricots in a food processor with mustard and garlic. Process until smooth.
5. Warm the buns in the microwave. Spread a little chutney on buns. Add chicken and sandwich together.
Calories 430. Fat 11g (Sat 3.7g, mono 4.1g, poly 1.7g); Protein 42.3g, Carb 41.9g, Fiber 2.7g, Chol 141mg, Iron 2mg, Sodium plus 644mg, Calc 24mg.
Recipe adapted from the June 2011 issue of Cooking Light. Photograph by Laura Flowers.