This sauce. Its terribly deceiving sitting there all white and boring. It’s that wallflower so easy to overlook. Yet, if you just take a very small amount on your tongue the flavor will blow your senses with creamy lemon and garlic. It tricks you this little lemon sauce. Tricks you into coming back for more. Before long, your artichoke is sadly gone, and you’ll be wishing you had something else to dip, so you’ll start dipping your garlic bread, then your pita chips, and then you’ll be licking the bowl clean.
At least, that’s what happened to me.
Artichokes with Lemon Dipping Sauce
• 1/4 cup mayonnaise
• 1 teaspoon lemon peel
• 1/4 cup lemon juice
• 1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
• 2 cloves garlic
• 2 teaspoon coarse salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
• 4 medium artichokes
1. Combine first 7 ingredients in a small food processor and puree. Cover and chill.
2. Wash artichokes by plunging up and down in cold water. Cut off stem ends; trim about 1/2 inch from top of each artichoke. Remove any loose bottom leaves. With scissors, trim one-fourth off top of each outer leaf.
3. Place artichokes in a large Dutch oven; add water to depth of 1 inch. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until tender.
4. Serve artichokes with sauce.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 artichoke and 2 tablespoons sauce).
Recipe from Everyday Health. Photograph by Laura Flowers.