It was an orange day. I ran across some beautiful mandarin type oranges at the Co-op, Dishboy Scott called and told me about the Absolut Mandrin Vodka he purchased (which I promptly broke into his house and borrowed from him), and I spotted an orange cake mix at Safeway. I figured maybe I could throw everything together into one recipe. So here it is.
These cookies are so yummy. Any type of orange should work fine, so please don’t let that stop you from making these.
You can have your vodka back now Scott. Sorry about the thievery. Can I make it up to you with a cookie?
Absolut Mandrin Dreamsicle Cookies
1 cup sweetened plain jarred applesauce
1/3 cup butter, softened
2 large eggs
¼ cup milk
¼ cup Absolute Mandrin Vodka
1 (18.25 ounce) package Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Orange Supreme cake mix
1 ½ cups unbleached flour
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line cookie sheets with parchment.
2. Beat together the applesauce, softened butter and eggs. Then add the milk, vodka, and cake mix and beat until well mixed. Add the flour and beat until just combined.
3. Scoop with a standard (size 50) cookie scoop and drop onto parchment 1 ½ inches apart. Bake for 9 to 10 minutes until lightly golden on the bottom. Rest on cookie sheet for 2 minutes and move to cooling rack.
4. Once cool, make the frosting (recipe below) and decorate as desired.
Makes 60 cookies
Orange Vanilla Frosting
½ cup unsalted butter, softened
Zest of 1 mandarin orange
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons juice from a mandarin orange
2 teaspoons Absolut Mandrin Vodka
¼ cup milk
Pinch of salt
5 cups powdered sugar
1. Beat all the ingredients together until smooth and fluffy. Frost Cookies as desired.
Recipe and photographs by Laura Flowers