Ah, but now I know, and my life (or taste buds) have changed for the better. Though now I want one of these babies all the time and I’m not sure how healthy all that fried cauliflower will be in the long run.
Crusing through New York’s own Serious Eats a few weeks back I came across a fried cauliflower sandwich from Rainbow Falafel & Shawarm. They thought it deserved some love and so did I, but with no recipe provided, I had to make up one of my own.
The fried cauliflower part comes from Food.com. The rest I threw together as a compliment for those tasty tender breaded veggies. Rainbow Falafel & Shawarm uses a tahini sauce on their sandwiches, but I thought lemon-garlic would go well here.
Fried Cauliflower Wraps with Lemon Garlic Mayo
large tortillas or pitas of choice
Fried cauliflower, recipe below
Lemon Garlic Mayonnaise, recipe below
Iceberg lettuce, shredded
Salt & pepper
Warm the tortillas in the microwave between two napkins. Place one tortilla on a plate and top with cauliflower, lettuce, tomato slices, onion slivers, salt and pepper. Drizzle with the mayo. Fold up bottom and roll into a burrito. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
Lemon Garlic Mayonnaise
1 cup mayonnaise
1 clove garlic, minced well
1 teaspoon lemon zest
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
Mix all the ingredients together. Chill until ready to use.
Deep Fried Cauliflower
1 head cauliflower, washed and broken into bite-size florets
2 eggs, beaten
1 tablespoon milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups flour
2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/8 teaspoon sweet paprika
1 dash cayenne pepper (use more if you like spicy stuff)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Oil (for deep frying)
1. Preheat fryer oil to 375.
2. Place the beaten eggs, milk and salt in a shallow bowl (or a large baggie).
3. In a separate shallow bowl (or another large baggie), mix together flour, cheese, garlic powder, thyme, oregano, paprika, cayenne, and pepper.
4. Place florets into egg mixture and toss (or shake baggie) to coat well.
5. Remove and place into flour mixture and toss (or shake baggie) to coat well.
6. Fry in batches for 4 - 6 minutes or until golden brown.
7. Drain on paper towels and lightly salt.
Deep Fried Cauliflower recipe by Margie99 from Food.com. Lemon Garlic Mayonnaise, pita recipe and photographs by Laura Flowers.