This very random day started by feeling deeply unsettled over my torn apart kitchen and cluttered beyond recognition kitchen table. When crap fills up the coveted space we're supposed to have family meals I sort of fall apart and become obsessed with other details. Like playing on Facebook all morning.
While over there, my friend Missy asked that I fill out 30 Random Things About Me and of course I had to comply. Not doing so would have me doing productive things. Like leaving the house for the first time today. Or God forbid, dishes.
Here are my answers. If you feel up to it do this yourself and please come back and let me know so I can visit!
First though, the recipe, as it's a heck of a lot shorter than my rambling.
Pumpkin Spice Eggnog French Toast
You can make this with regular eggnog too if you can’t find the other. The only trick to this quick breakfast is butter. You must very generously butter your pan or the bread will stick like the dickens.
Pumpkin Spice Eggnog
1. Place some eggnog in a wide shallow bowl. Set bread and bowl beside the stove.
2. Heat a good dollop of butter in a skillet over medium high heat until the foam begins to subside. Soak bread on both sides and shake off the excess nog.
3. Fry bread on one side. When golden brown, lift up the slices and add a little more butter. Flip the bread over and cook until done. Repeat until happy.
4. Serve with a sprinkle of powdered sugar and maple syrup if desired.
30 Random Things About Me
1. When my kitchen table is covered in crap I feel deeply unsettled.
2. I love my dog like he’s my child and feed him accordingly, much to the dismay of his vet.
3. I love gleaning (stealing) fruit off trees that stick out in local alleys.
4. I believe in higher ethics. Meaning that picking between lesser evils will happen more often than true ethical situations and sometimes your choices will be part naughty. (See above.)
5. I am part naughty/ ornery/ rebellious at all times by choice.
6. I am afraid of hurting myself again, but refuse to stop taking risks. About twice a year I beat the holy snot out of myself in some dumb way. This will probably be how I die.
7. After visiting my mom I always run home and purge my house of clutter. Speaking of mom’s house, big houses overwhelm me. All I can think about is how much crap you can stuff into too much space and how expensive the heating bill is.
8. I’m an inclusive person and like to involve everyone and introduce all my friends to each other.
9. I am obsessed with conversion vans and badly want one. I love the idea of staying packed up and leaving town at short notice as I travel frequently.
10. I was at one time an Army soldier.
11. White walls bore me. So do white kitchen appliances.
12. I once swore to God as a professional photographer I would never shoot food. Lesson learned: Never tell God you won't do something.
13. I love to read. Love love love to read and very frequently stay up until 4am doing so.
14. I’m sad my daughter doesn’t like to read, but I’m working on her.
15. I tell my husband every single day we need to move to Austin, Texas and he ignores me each and every time. I’ve considered leaving him over this issue. Usually in the dead of winter when it’s freezing miserable cold out.
16. I’m only serious when I’m angry, which isn’t very often.
17. I think it would be fun to be a carnie traveling around the country setting up fairs and I haven’t ruled this out as a future profession.
18. I wish my parents liked me better and wanted to spend actual time with my family and I. However, I don’t waste too much time on wishful thinking and have adopted other parental figures.
19. I love my foodie friends. If you are a foodie, you are my friend.
20. If you make me laugh I’m loyal forever.
21. If I make you laugh I’ve done my duty for the day.
22. I make fun of and mimic serious and stuffy people.
23. I love my brothers and their families! They’re the best.
24. I try to use my favorite pink skull mug every morning and am sad when it’s dirty.
25. I believe in breakfast and don’t trust people who skip this favorite meal.
26. I’m proud to be University of Idaho alumni only because I get to say I’m a “Vandal”.
27. After living in the Czech Republic a few years ago I’ve come to deeply appreciate considerate, kind American males. Our men are the nicest anywhere and this is one of few places we can have true male friends.
28. I like to ride my bicycle; I like to ride my bike. Sing it with me now! It’s true though. When it’s warm outside I enjoy riding the 24 miles to Troy, Idaho and back.
29. If I’m told “no” I find a way around it even if I have to pay the consequences. Sometimes it involves things like painting the kitchen behind my color phobic spouse's back while he's at work. Or sneaking alcohol into my cooking for Jesse's alcohol adverse family.
30. My favorite thing in the world is to feed and play with my family, friends, neighbors, strangers and dog. Nothing makes me happier.
Recipe and photograph by Laura Flowers.