Wednesday, May 25, 2011
On Allrecipes.com this recipe is called cake, but there’s not a hint of cake here. It’s a crisp with a top and bottom plus a simple glaze that’s poured over tart rhubarb and sweet strawberries.
The glaze alone is worth making again. It makes the fruit sweet without being grainy and I can see myself using it for other recipes with blueberries, cherries, peaches and pears.
Strawberry Rhubarb Double Crisp
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup quick cooking oats
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup butter
4 cups rhubarb, chopped
1 pint fresh strawberries, halved
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a bowl combine flour, packed brown sugar, oats, cinnamon and nutmeg. Cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly. Gently press half of the mixture into an ungreased 9-inch round baking pan.
3. Place chopped rhubarb across the bottom. Top with strawberries.
4. In a saucepan stir together sugar and cornstarch. Add water and vanilla. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until it lightly coats the back of a spoon. Pour glaze over fruit. Sprinkle fruit with remaining crumb mixture.
5. Bake for 1 hour. Scoop and serve with vanilla ice-cream.
Recipe instructions adapted from Allrecipes.com Submitted by Roxanne39. Pictures by Laura Flowers.